Please keep checking back for our latest vacancies.
Volunteering is a fantastic way of gaining experience to help you with future job applications. If you might be interested in a volunteering role, even if only for a short time, please do visit our Volunteers page to apply.
Project Worker - Men in Sheds
Cotswold Friends is a local charity based in Moreton in Marsh, providing Community Transport, Befriending, Carer Support, Community Activities and more to older and vulnerable people in the North Cotswolds and Cirencester.
We aim to combat loneliness and isolation. Our voluntary services improve health and wellbeing and support independent living.
Cotswold Friends runs four Men in Sheds projects in Campden, Moreton, Bourton and Northleach, The aim of the Sheds is to encourage, support and enable older and vulnerable people to get together with others from their local community, work on shed projects or simply come along to enjoy tea, cake and company. Attending Men in Sheds helps members to remain physically, mentally and socially active.
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Men in Sheds Project Worker, to continue the development of the Sheds, support the Lead Volunteers and Shed members, ensure each shed is Health & Safety compliant and safe working practices are being followed at all times. This role will allow the successful applicant to make a real difference to the lives of local people by supporting their involvement in a thriving community project.
We are looking for a candidate:
· To develop the Sheds project, supporting Lead Volunteers with the day-to-day operation of the workshops, ensuring they are clean and tidy and health and safety compliant at all times
· To be responsible for safe working practices in the Sheds and for any projects in the community, undertaking risk assessments and health and safety reviews as needed
· To develop the shed community, growing attendance at shed projects, encouraging new people to attend and supporting initial visits when required
· To ensure the individual needs of all participants are identified, regularly reviewed and supported
· To attend UK Men’s Shed Association training, and other relevant training, and disseminate the information to Lead Volunteers, particularly in relation to health and safety
· To maintain and update Sheds training manuals and policies, where necessary. Develop new policies under the guidance of the Community Activities Programme Manager for new services or projects including risk assessments
· To liaise with landlords to ensure positive working relations at Shed sites
· To oversee the purchase, maintenance and stock control of tools and equipment
· To ensure all conditions of Shed insurance are adhered to
· To implement quality controls to ensure any items sold are safe and fit for use
· To organise evaluations and feedback with shed members and volunteers
· To participate in providing information for reports to our funders and review opportunities for additional funding.
· To provide cover for other Community Activities when needed and as directed by the Community Activities Programme Manager
· To support the Community Activities Programme Manager and wider team as required
· To enjoy the role and join in with the camaraderie of the shed!
The successful candidate will have workshop supervision experience and a sound knowledge of health and safety in a practical environment. IT skills to ideally include email, excel and database experience. Must have an awareness of the needs of older and vulnerable people and good interpersonal skills to help you support our volunteers and Shed members.
An induction programme and training in Cotswold Friends systems and processes will be provided, including Safeguarding, Health & Safety, Fire Marshall and First Aid.
If this position sounds interesting to you, we would love to hear from you. An informal visit to the ‘sheds’ to see the project in action would be supported and encouraged.
Cotswold Friends is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to combating all forms of discrimination.
Contract Type: 12 Months
Hours per week: 16 to18
Salary Type: Salary
Location – At Shed locations and at the Moreton offices for admin work
What level of DBS check? Enhanced
Job Type: Part-time Part-time hours: 16 - 18 per week
Salary: £11.20 per hour
Monday to Friday
Work Location: In person
The Living Wage
Cotswold Friends is an accredited Living Wage employer. The Living Wage is a voluntary higher rate of base pay. It provides a benchmark for responsible employers who choose to pay their employees a rate that meets the basic cost of living in the UK and London.